So you’re thinking of booking family photography on the Mornington Peninsula? Amazing!!! You are absolutely spoilt for choice here. It’s a beautiful place and there are some great choices when it comes to location!!
What time of year to have a family photography session on the Mornington Peninsula?
Golden hour is the period of time just after sunrise or just before sunset when the sun is low on the horizon, and the light is soft, warm, and diffused. This time of day is known for its beautiful, golden tones and is considered ideal for photography for several reasons:
- Soft light: During golden hour, the sun’s light is more diffused and less harsh than during other times of the day, which can create a soft and flattering look in photographs.
- Warm colours: The warm, golden tones of the sunlight during this time of day can add a beautiful and natural warmth to photos, creating a pleasing and inviting feel.
- Dramatic shadows: The low angle of the sun during golden hour can create long, dramatic shadows, which can add depth and dimension to photos.
- Versatility: Golden hour can be used for a variety of photography styles, including portraits, landscapes, and still life. The warm and flattering light can enhance the beauty of any subject.
Golden is definitely the best time for your photos to be dreaaammy. But do you have to do this? Absolutely not!! A good photographer can work with any kind of light. Some of my favourite photos I’ve taken have been when there’s dark and moody skies or a lot of fog! For family photography on the Mornington Peninsula you might be blessed with any sort of weather so just embrace it!
The timing of the sunset on the Mornington Peninsula varies throughout the year due to changes in the angle of the sun and the length of the day. However, generally speaking, during the summer months of December to February, the sun sets between 8:30 pm and 9:00 pm. In autumn, from March to May, the sunset occurs between 5:30 pm and 6:00 pm. During winter, from June to August, the sun sets between 4:45 pm and 5:15 pm. Finally, in spring, from September to November, the sunset occurs between 6:00 pm and 7:00 pm. You’ll want to time your session to start the hour or so before the sun is due to set so it’s best to look up exactly what time the sun will set for the day you book in!
Some amazing locations to consider for family photography on the Mornington Peninsula…
This spot is super popular for family photography on the Mornington Peninsula! AND FOR GOOD REASON!! It’s absolutely stunning. The beauty of the cliffs that overlook the ocean will have you in awe. In Summer the golden grass will have you in awe and other times of year there’s beautiful green grass AND little flowers in Spring.
Warning: It’s a bit of a walk down to this stunning location! Buuuttt I figure if there’s heaps of maternity sessions done here then surely we can manage it!
Another popular spot for family photography on the Mornington Peninsula! This place is dreamy with a pine forest at the back of the beach! Get the best of both worlds with pine forest photos AND beach photos. It’s also a good one as it doesn’t get too busy and if it is you can go into the forest for some privacy!
This gorgeous place in Mount Martha is beautiful and has sooo many different areas to explore!! I love the front of The Briars where there’s a field and big trees for the kids (and adults) to run around under!
These beautiful gardens are so versatile and I’ve found a really great spot for family AND extended family sessions! There’s lots of room and a super cute playground for the kids to play on at the end.
Beaches around the Mornington Peninsula (preferably in the off season)
When you think of family photography on the Mornington Peninsula, you might immediately think of a beach session. The beaches down this way are beautiful HOWEVER if you’re wanting a beach session I suggest booking in Spring, Autumn or Winter. The beaches are absolutely packed during Summer, so not only is it hard to find a car park you’ll also have tonnes of people watching you. Awwwwkward. A sunrise session is the only way to go in Summer or go to somewhere like Shoreham Beach or the cliffs of Flinders that aren’t as busy.
I love beaches with rocky areas for some versatility!
What to wear to your family photography session on the Mornington Peninsula….
Coordinating outfits for a family photography session can be challenging, but it’s an important aspect of creating beautiful and cohesive photos. Here are some tips to help you coordinate outfits for your family photography session:
- Choose a colour palette: Start by choosing a colour palette that will work well together. You can choose 2-3 colours and then mix and match them in different ways. Family photography sessions on the Mornington Peninsula look great with flowy dresses, cute earthy outfits and sandals so you can get your feet wet!
- Consider the location of your shoot and choose colours that will complement the surroundings!
- Dress for the location: Consider the location of your shoot when choosing outfits. If you’re shooting at the beach, for example, choose light and airy fabrics in neutral or pastel colours. If you’re shooting in a park or garden, you might want to choose outfits with earthy or moody tones or greens.
- Mix and match textures: To add visual interest, mix and match textures in your outfits. For example, you could pair a cotton shirt with a denim jacket or a lace dress with a leather belt.
- Avoid logos and busy patterns: Avoid wearing clothing with logos or busy patterns, as these can be distracting in photos. Solid colours and simple patterns tend to work best.
- Coordinate, don’t match: Instead of trying to match everyone’s outfits, aim for a coordinated look. You can do this by using the same colour palette or by choosing complementary colours. Consider choosing one or two statement pieces, such as a patterned dress or a bold necklace, and then build the rest of the outfits around them.
- Accessories can be a great way to tie outfits together, just make sure there’s nothing too distracting!!! I love it when people incorporate cute hats that can be worked in.
Overall, coordinating outfits for a family photography session takes a bit of planning, but it’s worth the effort to create something beautiful!
How to prepare your kids for your Mornington Peninsula family photography session
Preparing your kids for a family photography session can help ensure that they are comfortable and cooperative during the shoot. Here are some tips to help you prepare your kids for a family photography session:
- Talk to your kids: Before the photography session, talk to your kids about what to expect. Explain that they’ll be having their picture taken and that the photographer will be friendly and kind. You can also show them some examples of family photos and let them know how important these photos are to you.
- Make it fun: Make the photography session a fun experience for your kids by letting them help choose outfits or accessories, and by making the shoot feel like a fun family activity. Encourage them to smile and have fun with each other.
- Time it right: Try to schedule the photography session for a time when your kids are well-rested and fed. This will help them feel more comfortable and cooperative during the shoot.
- Bring snacks and toys: Bring some snacks and small toys to the photography session to help keep your kids happy and occupied. This can help prevent boredom or fussiness during the shoot.
- Practice posing: Practice some posing with your kids before the shoot so they feel comfortable and confident in front of the camera. Encourage them to be themselves and have fun with it.
- Be patient: Be patient with your kids during the photography session. If they get fidgety or tired, take a break and let them run around or play for a few minutes. Remember, the goal is to capture natural, happy moments, so don’t worry too much about getting the perfect shot.
Looking for family photography on the Mornington Peninsula? I’m your girl! We will have SOOOOO much AND get some beautiful photos. You can get in touch with me here.